- United by that conviction, over 800 scientists, economists, and policy makers arrived in New York City last Sunday to attend the Heartland Institute’s 2nd Annual International Conference on Climate Change. They came to talk a wide range of subjects, from climatology to energy policy, from computer climate models to cap-and-trade, from greenhouse gas (GHG) effects to solar irradiation. But most of all they came to help spread the word that the answer to the question posed by this year’s theme -- Global warming: Was it ever really a crisis? -- is a resounding NO.
- alarmist opinions are driven by
- profits from writing and speaking fees, carbon trading and investments in non-carbon fuel products.
- blindly accept hyped Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) publications as the final word in climate science. In truth, says Klaus, there is no fixed relationship between CO2 and temperatures, as clearly illustrated by the wavering heat trends of the 20th century, despite the steady rise in CO2.
Even ambiguous or meaningless statements that can be easily spun are financially beneficial to scientists, so why complain about the spin? Ever wonder why you never stop hearing about studies finding GW responsible for everything from kidney stones to cannibalism? Explains Lindzen: It’s become standard that whatever you’re studying,
- include global warming’s effects in your proposal and you’ll get your funding.
- And Christopher Essex nailed it: Their 1000 year forecast is remarkable – even groundhogs only predict 6 months ahead.
Astrophysicist Willie Soon proclaimed the sun-induced climate change theory alive and well. He believes that,
- while IPCC AR4 fraudulently disregarded Milankovitch's theory of orbital influences on climate, the comings and goings of the ice ages may be controlled by changes in solar insolation at climatically sensitive latitudes.
Roy Spencer blamed the PDO for 75% of twentieth century warming. He provided a line graph plotting temperatures against the PDO and the correlation was quite remarkable. Weaker PDOs yielded warmer temperatures and the onset of stronger circulations cooled things down. As one might suspect -- Spencer’s graph depicted a decided cooling trend beginning in 2003.
The True Cost of Green Meddling“And Dick Lindzen says that’s game, set and match.”
- agriculture crippling, resource wasting legislation the warm-mongers have gotten through to fight it. Here’s a beauty --
And Gov. Schwarzenegger – who just proposed the largest tax increase in history to make up for funds lost by his failed green policies -- wants Cal-E-Fornia to be “an example to the country.”
And speaking of bad GHG accords, Competitive Enterprise Institute Senior Fellow Chris Horner explained how liberals could sneak Kyoto II through the Senate by changing it from a treaty to an executive agreement.
- Treaties require a 2/3 Senate vote, and the Gore brigade knows damned well they’d never pull that one off. But with a little legislative sleight-of-hand, the vote required could be lowered to 3/5.
- "Holdren] wants carbon cap and trade that will cost hundreds of billions of dollars to curb ‘global warming’ that the PDO shows isn’t going to happen in the next several decades (no matter what the cause). The PDO data shows conclusively that global cooling is going to continue for several decades, causing increasing demands of energy and resources (while population escalates), but if we spend hundreds of billions of dollars on cap and trade (as Holdren is pushing), we will have little left with which to handle the real problems of increasing demands on dwindling resources. Holdren’s path will lead to a real global catastrophe.”
And Monckton took on another deadly green scheme as only his Lordship can:
- "Their biofuel scam, a nasty by-product of their shoddy, senseless, failed, falsified, fraudulent ‘global warming’ bugaboo,***
carelessly kill tens of millions more by pursuing Osamabamarama’s stated ambition of
- shutting down nine-tenths of the economies of the West and flinging us back to the Stone Age without even the right to light fires in our caves.”
Such, as Kreutzer so perfectly described it, is the true “cost of accomplishing nothing.”Of Bad Scientists, Bad Data, and Bad Conclusions
Bob Carter stressed preparedness, warning that abrupt natural climate change is the dangerous hazard (both warming AND cooling) and demands a planned response, which must be assessed regionally. After all, climate hazards in the Gulf of Mexico are not the same as in Australia. Besides, says Bob, if hypothetical AGW actually materializes, well – we’re prepared for that too!
The Message is Clear, Cohesive, and Catching On
Marc Sheppard is the editor of AT’s forthcoming Environment Thinker.
***Not to mention ethanol congeals in cold temperatures, has already caused death in a trucking accident. A Minnesota school district had to cancel school because school buses on bio-fuel congealed in the cold and their costly engines were damaged. Children waiting at bus stops almost froze. ...