9/21/10, "Arctic stations near heat sources show warming over the last century.
- Arctic stations that are isolated from manmade heat sources
- show no warming.
- All the GISS temperature anomaly maps show the Arctic warming faster than the rest of the globe, especially northern Alaska and Siberia,
"Contrary to GISS claims, many of these stations are actually not “rural” with respect to their siting quality.
- Many are at airports associated with sizable towns or research stations with sizable staff and infrastructure.
- These pipes cannot be buried because of the permafrost, so they are elevated, and at street crossings are elevated 4 or 5 meters.
- But GISS applies the same Urban Heat Island (UHI) criteria to all stations globally, regardless of the latitude or average temperature.
They look at the satellite night brightness and population to judge whether urban or rural.
- By GISS criteria, all the stations in the high Arctic are rural;
- there are no corrections for UHI....