- 7/23, "Sen. Kerry predicts 'ice-free Arctic' in '5 or 10 years'", CNS News, P. Starr
- “That’s the extreme case,” Wang said. “To me, that could be,
- but it’s less than a 50 percent chance.”
- Smith did not respond to repeated emails asking the source for Kerry’s assertion about the Arctic ice.
- Blogger Bob Zimmerman of BehindtheBlack.com says since the computer study apparently being referenced, Arctic Ice has continually increased:
- And the sun remains quiet, less active than we have seen it since scientists began tracking its behavior from space.
- Such inactivity means a dimmer sun, which in turn brings with it cold temperatures. Here is the most recent graph (updated on July 20) from the Total Solar Irradiance Time Series produced by Physikalisch- Meteorologisches Observatorium Davos (PMOD) using satellite data since 1978:
Bob reminds climate is almost impossible to predict, including the claims made by John Kerry.
- via Bob's discussion on the John Batchelor show